Type 4 engine (VW Bus and Porsche 914):
- 96mm Keith Black aluminum pistons, EMW cylinders, pins and clips
- Haystings moly rings - part number 4203
- GE Case that was cleaned, oil gallies removed, tapped and replaced with stainless hex screws
- German OEM 71mm crank with standard sized Real German Bearings
- German OEM rods/bolts with standard sized Real German Bearings
- Webcam 494 cam, German dual thrust cam bearings
- Webcam new-style multi piece lifters
- Porsche 914 1.8L heads (new valves were lapped), 41mm/34mm (int/exh), high rev bugpack T1 single springs, Chromoly retainers/keepers, 911 style elephant foot adjusters, solid rocker conversion, OEM style 1.25 ratio rockers, 53cc chambers, ported and polished, no head gaskets used (this is recommended for T4's), but cylinders lapped into heads
- Static compression set at 9.2:1
- Chromoly pushrods (bugpack) - zero lash setting - cut to length (271mm)
- Heavy Duty 30mm Oil T1 pump modified for T4 (8mm outlets)
- Dual Ignition System:
- Fully Programmable / Laptop-tuneable Electronic Distributor less Ignition System (EDIS - MegaJolt) with Performance ACCELL 42,000 Volt coil pack, 36-1 crank fired trigger wheel, MAP sensor with custom made metal reservoir, dual stage/colour mini LED shift light. (shift light/MJ works even though it is currently running/sparking off of the distributor.)
- Also running switchable (backup) OEM 009 style distributor with German points/rotor. New BOSCH blue coil.
- Bosch Custom 8mm Silicon plug wires with EDIS and ceramic ends
- Full engine breather setup (crank case, heads, high quality oil breather lines, Heavy Duty T-bolt hose clamps, polished breather box with K&N mini filter). I think I need to add a catch can to this setup as the breather leaks a little.
- New genuine Sachs spring loaded NOS clutch disc and NOS Pressure Plate - 215mm flywheel lightened 1.3 pounds and needle bearing machined, then pressed in / installed, end play adjusted correctly
- 72 plate external oil cooler with fan, fan switch, filter, oil thermostat, inline-mechanical oil pressure gauge, high pressure lines and high pressure clamps mounted on 4 rubber feet on a custom bracket above transaxle on drivers side
- Dual Weber 44mm IDF carbs with Chrome Velocity Stacks, K&N filters and polished CB Performance Aluminum bases / tops. Rebuilt with Weber rebuild kit and jetted correctly. New Floats - adjusted correctly. CB Hex linkage with 4 upgraded heavy duty Heim joints, upgraded and polished HEX linkage (dual heavy-duty return springs added to each carb (one on each side) and internal springs added & lubed). polished and port matched intake manifolds (each runner is tapped for the MAP sensor). Carbs are currently running:
- 135 mains
- 55 idles
- 200 airs
- F11 emulsions
- Custom made A-1 Sidewinder Header and Head Stub pipes in 1 5/8", Polished Stainless Steel MagnaFlow muffler (2.5") with custom made single 2.25" side turn-down exit tip with mandrel pipe, welded piping coated in semi-mat black 1000 degree high-heat paint.
- Oxygen sensor bung (CB Performance) welded into A1 Sidewinder header (muffler side), Bosch Oxygen sensor (single wire) connected to 10 LED tri-colour digital air/fuel gauge (made from kit). this gauge is behind rear seat (Velcro carpet), so it can be seen in the rear view mirror.
- Fiberglass Type 4 Upright conversion cooling shorud, paint matched (Porsche emblem and original German valve adjustment badge on shroud)
- Engine Compartment and above transaxles sound deadened as well as insulated for heat and sound absorbs ion with three-stage process. 1) rubberized undercoating 2) B-Quiet Ultimate - high butyl content foil-faced 4mm sticky insulation 3) foil-faced and backed insulated bubble wrap for sound absorption.
- Transaxle nose cone gasket replaced, flushed and filled with Redline MT-90 fluid, painted marine grade enamel glass black, hardware replaced with plated metric nylocks
- Engine compartment tin made out of 1/8 inch aluminum with heat seal edging
- New high performance (28.5mm vs 25.5mm stock) Chromoly IRS Short Axles (388mm) and all new CV's / Boots / Bearings / Seals
Brake / Wheel Specs:
- CB Performance dropped spindles for "wide 5" (205 x 5) disc brake applications, wide 5 cast rotors, calipers, hardware, etc.
- Volvo master cylinder reservoirs with dual chambers mounted directly to new German Master Cylinder
- Residual valve on rear line (2 PSI version)
- Wide-5 rear brake swap and CB Performance Spun Aluminum Brake Covers. Rear 1974 drums have been modified to work with the 1967 drums and trailing arm spacing (12mm nipple cut off)
- New custom hard lines throughout
- New CB Performance drop spindles for wide 5 disc brakes 15 x 5.5 inch wide steel wheels (silver painted, currently running plastidip black) with top rated P185/60R15 Yokohama AVID TRZ tires
- Air Suspension:
- Front / Back / Side / Side adjustable 4-valve setup
- Front: Monroe Air Sleeve Front Suspension (MA756 Model works well, run inverted with modified bushings and upgraded fittings (come with 1/8" lines))
- OEM Boge oil-filled rear shocks (very smooth ride)
- Relayed, on-board 100% duty cycle Viaair 380 Chrome air compressor on dual stage vibration isolators,
- 110PSI on / 145PSI off pressure switch
- 2.5 Gal steel air tank with water trap
- check and drain valves
- Two, dual needle 150 PSI, back-lit white-faced 2" gauges (FBSS) and single tank pressure gauge
- High pressure paddle type valves
- Front: 1/4" lines
- Tank gauge: 1/8"
- Rear: 3/8" reduced to 1/4" at the valve (the whole line is 3/8" - which speeds up air flow). Valve only comes in 1/4" and reducer from 3/8" to 1/4" has been bored out to not impede airflow. Not fast by any means, but smooth.
- PTC (Push to connect), brass and compression fittings used.
- Thick steel, custom-made lower air bag brackets (5.5") welded and braced on modified narrowed trailing arms,
- Upper air bag brackets (D-SHAPE PLATE 4.5 x 5.5") on welded brackets bolted to frame with 6 x 3.5" Grade 8 bolts,
- Rear CONITECH 2-ply double convoluted 2500 air bags - single 1/2" port reduced to 3/8" lines
- 3.5" narrowed adjustable front beam (originally a CB Performance unit) with narrowed torsion bars and strengthened / welded front bumper brackets, triangulated for strength. Relocated steering box limits and dampener bracket. Coated marine epoxy gloss black. Air tank mounts welded to beam/front bumper brackets.
- Adjustable rear spring plates with new short torsion bars conversion / caps and new inner & outer rubber trailing arm bushings. Spring plates notched 8mm for extra clearance (much more than 8mm due to fulcrum of spring plate)
- New Lowered Ball joints (more clearance than stock ones) and aluminum caster shims
- Custom Narrowed IRS rear suspension (33mm) to fit wider tires (made in jig), wide-5 Brake swap and CB Performance Spun Aluminum Brake Covers (look like a real 356). Welded braces to strengthen trailing arms. Finished in gloss black marine enamel.
- Wiring Harness Installation Photos of a 20 fuse/21 circuit custom harness with mini fuse style block
- Master hidden battery cutoff
- 4 relays
- 100% duty cycle air compressor (Chrome Viair 400C) with pressure switch activating relay
- Marchal Driving lights
- H4 headlights
- 12 LED 3rd hidden brake light
- Heated seats (carbon fibre / dual heat setting on both upper / lower part of seats)
- OEM style ignition switch, custom wiper switch and headlight switch in dash (correct Vintage Ivory coloured aluminum knobs)
- Rest of switches hidden from view with only LED's
- Electronic Flashers / Keyed (hidden) main power shut-off
- VDO reproduction 356 gauges
- Computfire 95amp alternator, OEM VW fan pulley, 4 AWG wiring run to starter & battery
- High Torque starter, dual wrapped in aluminum insulated foil and heat blanket (to prevent starter heat soak during hot months or hard driving)
- Custom sealed, vibration-resistant AGM Oddessy 925 battery. Integrated battery charger wiring harness and isolator for easy winter storage
- Halogen headlight conversion with 12AWG wire for both low and high beam and dedicated ground wire front to back of car
- 86 hour paint job, full bodywork, high build epoxy primer, L346 Mango Green Base, Clear, buffed and polished, fully assembled before paint for test-fitting, and then fully disassembled to bare body to be painted / polished and reassembled
- Original Porsche headlight grills
- Original Porsche turn signals, horn grills, emblems, license plate light and bee hive taillights
- Original Porsche engine grill
- 1956 original locking front hood latch
- reinforced fibreglass seats with integrated 2 setting (low/high) heated seats (on both back of seat and bottom of seat)
- 1956 restored "Oval" steering wheel with 60mm Enamel Porsche horn button
- 1956 restored steering column, turn signal switch, new OG carbon horn brush
- Custom made/fit aluminum under dash panels that have switches for heated seat, fog light, blower/defroster, heater, heater booster, air compressor override (on pressure switch), LEDs for all, 12v accessory plug (used for battery charging / laptop) and interior 'dome' light.
- Original rebuilt, repainted, rewired B2 Gas Heater installed in front battery well - with custom aluminum ducting to passenger compartment, fresh air booster fan integrated into stock defrosting pipe work. Relocated remote fuel tank and heater pump. Dash heater controls
- Heated Seats (dual carbon fibre heating elements per seat with two heat settings) w/ under dash dual position illuminated rocker switches
- New temp tire (125-70-17) and OEM 4" smoothie and spun aluminum drum cover and OEM VW jack / Toolkit strapped underneath
- New gas tank - coated gloss black marine epoxy (new sender / hardware), with proper vented tank pipe to prevent pressure and leakage
- Custom upholstery in synthetic caramel leather (@$60/yard). Door panels, dash, brows, carpet edging and seats.
- Custom fit carpet (synthetic oatmeal colour square weave). Sound deadening, under padding on floors and firewall. Doors lined with sound deadening and stuffed with padding
- Custom built stereo system. Tan vintage suitcase with 3/8" MDF silicon-sealed box built in with two 6"x9" 200W two-way speakers and 200W amp with high and low pass filters, USB charging port, MP3 input and volume control. The whole suitcase zips up with three small wires. MP3 in / switched power / ground. Excellent sound and sits nicely on rear or passenger seat with no holes or CD players needed.
- Smoothed and painted (gloss black marine enamel) header bow. Stainless Steel hardware and Nylock nuts used to mount Chrome latches, additional latch in middle added for complete seal. Dual closed-cell foam weather stripping used in header channel.
- Custom made-by-me Convertible scissor frame. Adjustable turn buckles added (to allow for tight adjustment of top). Modified pivot hinges with vinyl washers for smooth operation. All painted Vintage ivory and stainless steel hardware used.